Monday, September 27, 2010

Jonas Hiller 2010-11 Mask

Jonas Hiller of the Anaheim Ducks (born Feb. 12, 1982 in Felben Wellhausen, Switzerland.)

Here's what Jonas Hiller had to say about his mask over at InGoal Magazine.

InGoal Magazine reader Terry Smith writes: I love the all black mask you are wearing this year. How did you come up with the idea to keep it so simple and plain, and did it have anything to do with Swiss goalie Martin Gerber having something similar for a whle in Ottawa a few years ago?

Jonas Hiller: “No, actually it was a prototype for a new design from my mask maker in Switzerland (Alec Voggel of Airxess) and my painter just put a flat black on it because he wanted to cover the carbon fiber look and then we started putting the gold Ducks logo stickers on it and I started to think it actually looked pretty cool. And I brought it to training camp and guys liked it and I’ve never had so many people talking about it, so I thought I’d just keep it for now. I’ve heard a couple of nicknames – Darth Vader and Batman – but it’s cool if people talk about it. I always try to come up with something different. Sometimes there is so much stuff on the masks you can barely figure out what it is, but with that it fits the Ducks outfit. It’s beat up a little bit and it’s tough to try to keep it flat black because it gets shiny where it gets hit, but it still looks good. If I waned to do another layer, I could probably spray paint it, but it looks a little more mean if it’s beat up.”

The Goalie Guild has more photos here.





10 comments:

  1. I am Darth Vader....oooooppoooo...ooooopoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! This is definitely not one of my favorites. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the company that make this mask, the only logo is a ducks logo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a little more research on Hiller's mask. I edited the post with what he said about it to InGoal Magazine. He mentions the company is Airxess, which is a Swiss company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahh right ok, on the ducks opening game, one of the comentaters mentions that one of hillers friend sparyed his mask, because he works in a car spraying place,thought id let you know

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is actually my favourite!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This mask seems to get strong opinions, one way or the other. Either people really like it or really don't. ;o) It's definitely different, and that's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://thegoalieguild.com/2010/09/jonas-hillers-2010-11-mask/
    More pictures of the mask there if you want

    I actually painted my mask in about the same style just withe red (team colors) instead of black

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks very much for the link and comment. I'm glad you were able to have your mask painted like that, since I know you like it so much!

    ReplyDelete