Saturday, March 12, 2011

My Top 5 NHL Masks of the 2010-11 Season

I guess it's time that I pick my favorite of the NHL masks this season. I'm glad I waited this long though, because there have been some changes recently, and one of the new masks has made my top 5. So here we go. And I'd love to hear which masks are my readers' favorites. Feel free to post in the comments! Thanks.

#1
Maybe I'm a bit biased, because José Theodore is my favorite player in the NHL. But I really do think his mask is beautiful. Here's the entry for his mask. And a couple photos:



#2
Curtis McElhinney's Ottawa Senators mask. Here is the entry for McElhinney.



#3
Curtis McElhinney's Anaheim Ducks mask. That's right, both of McElhinney's masks this season made my top 5. They are very similiar, and extremely cool. Here's his entry again.


#4
Corey Crawford of the Chicago Blackhawks. Here's his entry.



#5
Kari Lehtonen's Tombstone mask. He started off the season with a Chuck Norris mask, then debuted a Tombstone mask in 2011. I'm a big fan of that movie, and that's why I like the mask so much. Here's his entry.




Honorable Mention
Ilya Bryzgalov of the Phoenix Coyotes. I don't like the overall look of the mask, but I'm giving it a mention because I really like the idea of having his children's artwork on the sides. Here's his entry.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I just discovered your blog and really enjoy it. I'm having a lot of fun going through your past posts.

    I have been a huge goalie mask fan for over a decade now and have a great appreciation for the construction and design of these pieces of art.

    As much as I love today's masks, I really love the vintage fibreglass stuff.

    As for my favorite mask this year - I gotta go with Tim Thomas. His 'outside the box' thinking and great detail on a mask with only the use of black is fantastic.

    Thanks for the great blog and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

    Cheers,
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment, Brett! I really appreciate it!! I meant to put up there in this entry that I'd love to hear from my readers as to which mask(s) are their favorites, so thanks for sharing yours. I do like Tim's mask too.

    There are some great vintage masks too. I have an article that I keep forgetting to post that shows someone's trip through the NHL Hall of Fame and they took pictures of many of the masks. I need to dig it out and post it.

    ReplyDelete